What is a Commissioner of Oaths?

A Commissioner of Oaths is a person who is authorized by the Province of Ontario to take an oath when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. They are given this authority by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act. Commissioners with the Township of Greater Madawaska are only authorized to take affidavits, oaths, declarations, or sworn statements for certain municipal and government forms. A list of acceptable documents that can be commissioned is outlined below. The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit and you must swear that the contents of the document are true to the best of your knowledge. You must understand the details in the document to which you are attesting – and you must understand that by swearing an oath, you are attesting that those details are correct. You must be able to provide valid photo ID.  

Commissioner of Oaths Fee:

The cost is $10 for residents of Greater Madawaska and $20 for non-residents. 


You are required to provide valid photo ID.

 What documents can be commissioned at the Township?
  • Planning applications related to matters within the geographical limits of the Municipality
  • Legal name change application
  • Name Change and/or Sex change documents and application
  • Declaration affirming parentage
  • Election to change name of child under the age of 12 (Service Ontario form)
  • Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Pension purposes - Attestations a is alive and confirming residency
  • Delayed birth registrations
  • Application to amend birth registrations
  • Statutory declaration of lost identification (passport)
  • Invitation letters for a visitor's visa
  • Canadian citizenship forms
  • Statutory declaration for Ontario Assistance Program (OSAP)
  • Statement of conscience or religious belief - immunization of schools pupil act
  • Consent letters for children travelling out of the country

What documents cannot be commissioned at the Township?

  • Wills, living wills, codicils (amendments) to wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Certify True Copies (unless municipal documents)
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Real estate documents including transfer of land
  • Estate settlement documents including transfers of money or estates of a deceased person
  • Documents related to finance (banking information, RRSP, Insurance Claims, Declaration for replacement of shares, statutory declaration of progress payment distribution, etc.)
  • Court, legal and/or civil issues related documents
  • Ministry of Community and Social Services Family Responsibility Office forms
  • Incomplete documents
  • International education institution or association documents including photographs
  • Any documents requiring the signature of a Guarantor or Notary Public


Contact Us

Subscribe to this page