Building permits must be obtained prior to beginning a building or renovation project in the Township of Greater Madawaska. The building permit process ensures that the buildings do not harm the health or safety of our community and ensures that the project meets the following requirements:

Applying for a building permit

You will need a building permit for all building and demolition projects.

For new buildings, please complete the New Home Building Permit.

Fill out the Permit to Construct or Demolish the following projects:

  • Demolitions
  • Accessory buildings (garage, shed or gazebo)
  • Additions
  • Renovations;

Please submit your completed application to the Chief Building Official.

You will need a New Home Building Permit for all new home buildings. For demolition, accessory building (garage, shed, gazebo), addition or renovation will need the Permit to Construct or Demolish.

When submitting your applications, be sure to include:

  • A copy of the survey or plot plan showing the distances between the building(s) to the lot lines as well as the locations of the well and septic bed when applicable;
  • One set of detailed construction plans;
  • A Letter of Authorization (required if the applicant is not the owner).

When the completed application is received the Building Official will confirm that the application has been approved and will contact you about the necessary fees.

Occupancy Permits

Occupancy permits are required prior to habitation of a new home. The requirements below must be received prior to the final inspection to receive an occupancy permit:

  • Electrical Safety Authority Certificate
  • Potable Water Certificate
  • HARI – balancing of the heating system report
  • Technical Standards Safety Authority (propane if applicable)


Permit payment options:

In Office: By cash, debit, or cheque made payable to ‘Township of Greater Madawaska’

By mail: A cheque made out to ‘Township of Greater Madawaska’, mailed to 19 Parnell St., Calabogie, ON, K0J 1H0
(please include your permit number (ex.23-001) on the memo line)

E-transfer: Send e-transfer to
(please include your permit number (ex.23-001) in the memo box)

Making changes to an Approved Building Permit

If you'd like to make a change to the construction authorized under a permit, please call the Chief Building Official at 613-752-2277.

Frequently Asked Questions

View our frequently asked questions to learn more about the building permit process.

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required for, but not limited to, the following:

  • new additions to existing buildings;
  • renovations, repairs, and alterations of existing buildings;
  • prefabricated buildings and temporary buildings;
  • moving a building;
  • various structures, such as pools, decks and retaining walls;
  • building systems, such as HVAC systems, fireplaces;
  • installations, alteration, and repairs to plumbing, drains and septic systems;
  • demolition;
  • roof-mounted solar panels;
  • farm buildings;
  • creating an in-house apartment or a secondary unit;
  • and any other accessory buildings to your property.

When is a building permit not required?

It is not necessary to get a building permit to perform the following work. However, you must still comply with the requirements of the Township of Greater Madawaska Zoning By-Law and if applicable the Building Code:

  • replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilets, sinks, bathtub, shower) in their original location;
  • replacement of doors or windows provided the rough opening size does not change and no structural changes are taking place;
  • replacing or repairing damp proofing on a basement;
  • kitchen cupboard replacement provided no changes to the plumbing system is taking place;
  • flooring replacement.

What happens if I do not get a building permit?

Under the Building Code Act, it is as offence to start construction without getting a building permit from the Township.

If the work does not comply with the Building Code requirements:

  • costly repairs may be required to gain compliance;
  • removal of the work not in compliance;
  • the application permit fee is doubled;
  • legal action will be initiated by the Building Department to gain compliance.

Anyone who is charged and found to be guilty of building without a permit can be fined up to $50,000 for a first offence and up to $100,000 for later offences. Fines up to $10,000 per day can also be imposed upon conviction if a person does not comply with an order of the Township.

Who is responsible for getting a building permit?

Some contractors will include this item as part of the building contract. However, the ultimate responsibility for getting a building permit rests with the homeowner. When a permit is required for the work being undertaken, do not begin work until a permit has been obtained from the Township.

When are inspections due?

Inspections are due at each stage of building, the following is a set list of when inspections should occur:

  • readiness to construct footings,
  • substantial completion of footings and foundations prior to commencement of backfilling,
  • Substantial completion of structural framing and ductwork and piping for heating and air-conditioning systems, if the building is within the scope of Part 9 of Division B,
  • substantial completion of structural framing and roughing-in of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning and air-containment extraction equipment, if the building is not a building to which Clause (c) applies,
  • substantial completion of insulation, vapor barriers and air barriers,
  • substantial completion of all required fire separations and closures and all fire protection systems including, standpipe, sprinkler, fire alarm and emergency lighting systems,
  • substantial completion of fire access routes,
  • readiness for inspection and testing of: (I) sewers and building drains, (II) water service pipes, (III) fire service mains, (IV) drainage systems and venting systems, (V) the water distribution system, and (VI) plumbing fixtures and plumbing appliances,
  • readiness for inspection of suction and gravity outlets, covers sand suction piping serving outlets of an outdoor pool described on Clause of Division A, a public pool or public spa,
  • substantial completion of the circulation/recirculation system of an outdoor pool described in Clause of Division A, a public pool or public spa and substantial completion of the pool before it first filled with water,
  • substantial completion of installation of plumbing not located in a structure, before the commencement of backfilling, and
  • completion of construction and installation of components required to permit the issue of an occupancy permit under Sentence or to permit occupancy under Sentence, if the building or part of the building to be occupied is not cully completed.

Please contact the Building Official 24 hours prior to the inspections being required at 613-752-2277. If you are leaving a message for inspection please leave the building permit number in your voicemail.

Who is responsible for calling to have the required inspections take place?

As the homeowner, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring that mandatory inspections take place. The Township needs to inspect your project throughout the various stages of the build. If inspections are not requested at the appropriate times, uncovering of the construction will be required.

How long does it take to get a building permit?

Once you submit your completed building permit the Chief Building Official has ten (10) days to review and approve the building permit, should there be an issue with the application the 10 days no longer applies.

Contact Us

Subscribe to this page