Working Smoke and CO Alarms: Itís The Law!
It is the law for all Ontario homes to have a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas. With this previously announced Fire Code amendment now in effect, it is hoped there will be a reduction of the number of preventable fire-related injuries and fatalities. The amendment covers single family, semi-detached and town homes, whether owner-occupied or rented.
Smoke alarms are critical safety devices that have been in existence for at least 30 years, however, Ontarians still continue to die in homes without working smoke alarms. This is why the provincial campaign Working Smoke Alarms: It’s the Law was developed to communicate help make homeowners, landlords and tenants of residential occupancies aware of their responsibilities to comply with the smoke alarm requirements that will significantly increase public safety in Ontario.
Failure to comply with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements is against the law but more importantly, could result in unnecessary loss of life! Smoke alarms must, also be replaced every 10 years in order to comply with the law…
It is also the law in Ontario to have working Carbon Monoxide detectors on each floor of your home!!
Our goal is to ensure that everyone is safe in their own home…
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer
Carbon monoxide (CO) has been called the “silent killer”. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas. Because of this, many people never know that they have been poisoned. It is estimated that 1,500 people are killed each year in North America and many more are injured with tragic disabilities, thus making carbon monoxide the leading cause of accidental poisoning in North America.
Carbon Monoxide Can Cause Illness Or Death
Carbon monoxide is the result of incomplete combustion of a fossil fuel such as natural gas, gasoline, propane and wood. Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in the blood, a condition known as carboxhemoglobin (Cohb) saturation. As the level of carbon monoxide rises in the blood, the percentage of COhb gets higher and people get sicker. Just how sick people will get varies from person to person, depending on age, overall health, and the concentration of exposure and the length of exposure. The people most at risk are the very young or the elderly. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms., commonly confused with the flu, include:
- Ringing in the ears
At higher levels or larger concentrations a person will become unconscious and death may result.
NoticesElection 2018Call for Canada Day Committee membersEmployment Opportunity - Treasurer/Deputy ClerkGinza Rink closed for the seasonLoad Restrictions in effectCalabogie Rink-Public SkatingCalabogie Rink Hours for 2018
March 5th, 20182018 Council Agenda and Minutes AGENDAS Regular Council - January 16, 2018 Special Council - March 5,...
March 12th, 20182018 Council Agenda and Minutes AGENDAS Regular Council - January 16, 2018 Special Council - March 5,...
March 17th, 2018Potluck Supper & Games NightMatawatchan Hall, 1677 Frontenac Road TWO live bands and only $7 cover! Pickled Chickens String...
March 27th, 2018Renfrew Blood Donor Clinic
March 31st, 2018Easter Egg Hunt - Calabogie